Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

You are my sunshine…

This is my first real post. And I decided to write about sunshine because that’s what made me think about making this blog. I can try to explain it to you if you’d like; if you don’t want to be exposed to The Most Confusing Train Of Thought Ever, skip the next paragraph.

So, I’m sick today. I feel pretty bad. I have a sore throat, headache, and a runny nose. I was lying down to take a nap earlier (I closed the blinds in my bedroom so it would be dark) but I couldn’t sleep. Then I remembered that I hadn’t fed the dogs today. I got up and went outside (ugh) and suddenly remembered that I hadn’t been exposed to sunlight at all today. Well, that wouldn’t do. So I stood in the sunlight for a few minutes. I realized that I was feeling substantially better when I was in the sun, so I got a camp chair and sat out in the sun for probably half an hour before I got so hot I decided to go back in. The effect of long-term exposure wasn’t as great, but at least I got my vitamin D.

Vitamin D used to be a “whatever” nutrient. Just go outside for 15 minutes or eat a fish, and you’ll get vitamin D, and your bones will be healthy. Now vitamin D is gaining a much cooler reputation as studies link it to preventing all sorts of diseases. That’s one reason why I felt that I should definitely get sunshine if I’m sick.
Unfortunately, some people are still afraid of the sun. As if being seen by that hideous ultraviolet-ray-emitting murderer in the sky will doom you to death by skin cancer unless you bathe in sunscreen. People don’t spend nearly enough time outside. Most people only need a small amount of time to benefit from sunshine, depending on location, skin color, weather, etc. Here’s a neat tool to find out how much sunshine you need to get enough vitamin D every day:

http://nadir.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/VitD-ez_quartMED.html

Getting sunshine is important because vitamin D is not found in any plant foods, so it can be hard to get enough unless you supplement (which is probably a good idea for people in colder climates).

Sunshine is not only good for vitamin D. It has a lot of other health benefits (maybe I’ll research some and write about them later). Just don’t spend too much time outside and get sunburned. If you feel like you’re getting too hot or starting to burn, go inside or, better yet, into the shade.

Spend some time in the sun today!

No comments:

Post a Comment